Sunday, October 9, 2011

Alzheimer's Walk for my Grandma


Today my Family walked 4.1 Miles in Memory and in Honor of my Grandma Howery. My grandma lived with us most of my whole childhood. My dad always built her a little apartment onto whatever house we were living in at the time. So she always had her own space. It was great. I spent many of my nights and days at her "house" She was my best friend growing up. We moved so much but my Grandma was always there with us! It was one of the BEST lifelong lessons and memories having her with me. When I was in 8th Grade my Grandma got to a point with her Alzheimer's that she could no longer live with us. She was wondering out of the house and becoming really hard for my parents to safely care for her. So we had to put her into a Memory Care place. AND THAT WAS SOOOOOOOOOO HARD for our Family!!!! But I visited her 3-4 times a week and all of her little gal pals and I brought donuts every sunday. Although she never remembered me. She did know that I was the nice little lady who came and visited with her. She did remember me that way. One of the cool things was when I was visiting her she would always tell great stories about her family!!! She was a great lady and one of my BEST FRIENDS OF ALL TIME!! She taught me some of the greatest lessons of my life and molded me into alot of who I am today. I miss her very much!

So today, having my kids with me here, I will say had me a little teary. It was bitter sweet! My grandma lived a great life! and it was long. She was an older grandma and she died at 91! But nontheless it was a rough last 10 years living with Alzheimers. It was a great day to be with Jon and the Kids. I am very Thankful!

Peace out Peeps!

0 comments:

Post a Comment