So our drives to schools are sometimes interesting... since we spend most of the week in the car driving BACK AND FORTH AND BACK AND FORTH!!!! We have some radio time and sometimes I let them talk!!! LOL!!! Well today we were listening to the radio on the way to take Abbie to school. And the D.J. said " Oregon has 36 inmates on death row and they are working on making the laws for execution harder so it will take longer for an inmate to get his death order, the last execution was in 1997.. and NOW they are going to make it harder?" So Abbie asked what does that mean. So I explained "death row" and "execution" and she said.... "WOW That is just wrong. They should not die." Then she said "What do you think mom, do you think they should die" And I said "ABSOLUTELY" I said like if someone murdered Dad would you be okay if they just were in jail for 25 years or whatever and then got out when Dad is still dead. And she said, "Yes I would totally be sad but I don't think they should die" So we went on this banter and giving my side and then she kinda started to cave on my points. And I said. "Abbie don't just take my side cause it's my side. Things like this is something that you decide as a person. There are alot of people who think the way you do and there are alot of people who think the way I do.. and there are people who just don't think anything :0) then she let out a little giggle.. :0) So then I continued... "If you think this is wrong and you think they should just sit in prison for the rest of their lives and not get executed then that is your opinion.. Just because I don't have the same opinion as you doesn't mean your are wrong or I am wrong or we can't be friends. I have a lot of friends that I have differing opinions on what is "right and wrong" BUT that doesn't mean we just write some one off because of that. But if you stand for something then you need to stand for it.
So it was kinda interesting...You know my "liberal daughter" who by the way is a Obama supporter and thinks the sun rays are damaging our earth or some crap like that!!! But whatever!!! She is 8... and let's just say I am thankful she can't vote yet.... :0) I am thankful that although she is 8....she is still searching out some of these thoughts at a young age. Although we can banter back and forth about different points I really do think it is SOOOOO important for her to work these thoughts for herself and discover the consequence of actions and not do it because "that what think" but I want her to think for herself!!! EVEN at 8!!
This will probably bite us in the butt in a couple years!!! It would be easier to make her a clone of me....cause well..... I am just PERFECT!!!! ;0)
Peace Out Peeps
1 comments:
You are such an awesome mom!
Post a Comment